11 February 2006

oh the weather outside will soon be frightful

Oh yeah. 6-12 inches of snow, with high winds and freezing temperatures. Welcome to the temperate zone.

I stocked up on books at the closeout store (as if I need more books!), a cinnamon bun and a bear claw (filled with marzipan) for tonight's dessert, and set out my knitting. I shall finish a spiral dishcloth, finish a furry scarf, and start the little Lion Brand Suede bag for my Knit the Classics (Woman on the Edge of Time) project. I want Connie to have a new bag, and a place to keep a decent pen. It's the least I can do for her.

Here's a twist on SP7 : my spoilee sends me presents. We have SO broken the rules that it's getting almost comical. Why? Because we're both the kind of iconoclasts who believe that these swaps aren't about the swag, but about making new friends. She and I exhange e-mails every day, long ones, about philosphy, spirituality, politics, and whatever is important to us. Our friendship is just marvellous. So is the box she just sent me: gorgeous ribbony/mohairy/maroony yarn, ginger chews, ginger tea, a ME magnet, and a lovely, calligraphed card. Am I the only person who smells yarn? This yarn smells like ginger, and it's so soft I'd like to make a pillow out of it. Thank you, SP spoilee!

And finally, check out this story from the BBC. All I can say is, it's about damned time.

5 comments:

Carrie K said...

As if need had anything to do with buying books. I picked up The Castle of Otranto last night and a copy of A Handful of Dust (because I left my copy at work) and some fantasy book by Robert Jordan.

What a nice segue from SP to friend! That's so nice to hear.

And yes. About time. Those that cannot be mocked without someone decent grace about it are scary.

Carrie K said...

Some. Some decent grace. NOT someone. Argh.

Maven said...

Glad you enjoyed the parcel:) Just imagine if the yarn came from my stash... it would smell like the vanilla and cinnamon candles I tuck into the bottom of the bushel. I smell yarn, too.

There's a line from "Nice Girls Don't Get Rich" or "Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office," by Lois Frankel, Ph.D.:

If we live our lives circumscribed by the expectations of others, we live a very limited existence. Amen sister, Lois!!!

amandazen said...

I love the fact that you are giving Connie a nice bag to carry a decent pen in. Stay warm in the snow, our recent snow storm was a joke...2 inches at 9,500 feet, winter where art thou?

Amanda :)

Jenni said...

I smell my yarn sometimes. I like it when it smells like sheep. It sort of reminds me that it used to belong to a humble, earthy, animal.