03 May 2005

why a duck?

Or, actually, why two ducks? We should not have ducks. We have no pond, no stream, nary a puddle. What we do have, however, is a pair of ducks that visits us every spring for a few days. They nap on our lawn, they wander down the driveway, and sometimes they even explore the rest of the court -- but when they're hungry, or when they're reminded that they get fed when we open the door, they come back. In fact, sometimes they remind *us* that they get fed when we open the door -- by staring at the door. They stared so much and so pointedly yesterday that they got three pieces of whole-grain bread in about an hour. I was convinced they'd never fly again, but I was wrong.

At one point, I was going back and forth between the front window, which offered a clear view of the ducks, and the side window, where I watched a bunny noshing on one of the carrots I'd put out for him. I guess I'm easily amused. Who needs television? Given a choice between watching the wildlife in my yard, and watching the latest installment of Runaway Bride (or whatever inanity has captured the news), I'll take the wildlife any day!

No comments: