29 April 2019

spoon theory, Spike Lee, Joe Biden, and Charlottesville




Amongst those of us with chronic issues, Spoon Theory is pretty-universally-agreed-to as an explanation of why we may look like normal humans, but looks are very deceiving, indeed.Our energy levels are far more pale than we are, and that's saying something.

If you need a Spoon Theory refresher, please Google it. I'm too tired to do links today.




So, the other day, I was contemplating making myself a literal cup of tea, and I came up with this:

        Even if I had a spoon, I'm too tired to stir.

Right? I did make the tea. I also realized I want to make an embroidery piece with that sentence, partly because I love embroidery pieces, and partly because embroidering it would give me the excuse to stabbity stabbity stab at least a few hundred times. (Don't you look at paintings & photos of women embroidering in static, ladylike parlors, and think how they must have loved stabbity stabbity stabbing in public, and being admired for it? I sure do.) 

Do I have enough spoons to design and embroider? We'll see. In the meantime --

It happens that it was the day after I'd seen Spike Lee's film, Black Klansman. Lee is so brilliant. I love his ancillary, humorous, or wry, Greek chorus-like characters that give you a bit of a break, and let you know that your own sense of WTF disbelief is not abnormal. I love the way he can frame scenes that are like brutal jewels. And then, wham, your heart is ripped right out. 

Mine would have been ripped out earlier had I known this bit of trivia from IMDb 

 ---- Spoiler alert ----
  • At a post-film cast Q&A on August 11, 2018, actor John David Washington revealed that right before his character's post-KKK gun shooting scene was filmed, director Spike Lee told him that the metal targets depicting black men running were not props and that they were purchased on the Internet. Washington said filming that scene with that knowledge affected his performance.

As it was, there are scenes at the end from that horrific day in Charlottesville, the ones that T***P described as having good people on both sides. Which was not true, is not true, never will be true. It was also in the same three days of Joe Biden's announcement that he is a candidate, in which he blasted T***P for his disgusting response to Charlottesville, and two days before the synagogue shooting in California. 

My heart (not too sturdy to begin with) was nearly literally ripped out of my body. I don't understand why everyone's heart isn't being blasted out of peoples' bodies.  No one is immune. Trust me on this, trust history on this, trust your own sense of decency on this: no one is immune from being a target of hatred. Not even the haters. 












No comments: