04 February 2009

The Uncommon Reader

I'm about to break a book-reviewing rule by reviewing a book I haven't yet quite finished : The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett.

Here's my review: I love this book.

Here's a bit of the plot: The Queen of England discovers that she loves to read, and the people around her Are Not Amused.

Here are two quotes:
  • Reading is untidy. discursive, and perpetually inviting. Briefing closes down a subject, reading opens it up.
  • Books did not care who was reading them or whether one read them or nnot. All readers were equal, herself included...It was anonymous; it was shared; it was common.
Here's one tidbit that cracked me up: a member of her staff is told to tell the Queen that the book she was reading was a security threat and had been blown up. The book in question was by Anita Brookner. I want to be able to write with that kind of hilarious subversion when I grow up. (I also want to write like Anita Brookner, but that's another tale.)

I'm not allowing myself to finish this book until the weekend. It's only 120 pages long, but I want to savor, not gulp. I wish every book were this much fun!

5 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

I love books that you wish would never end. And when they do it's like, what do I do now?

Knit Witch said...

Ha! That's funny!

Bridget said...

I really enjoyed this book, too. So many asides included that were right on track!

Inkslinger said...

I totally agree! I loved this book. I wish I'd had the self-control to savour instead of gulping it all up.

Carrie K said...

Oh, I'd meant to pick up this book! Glad to read such a glowing review.