29 May 2005

Chaos theory

The Meaning of Anxiety. Luck is Luck. The Life of Poetry.

If I were talented, I'd scan my bookshelves and make found poetry out of titles.

Vamps & Tramps. Her Husband. Reading Rooms. Knitting for Dummies. Knitting for Anarchists. A Very Close Conspiracy. The Plot Against America.

A clever therapist might ask for an inventory of a prospective patient's bookshelves and save herself a lot of time.

Maiden Voyage. How the Mind Works. Pure Drivel. O'Keeffe. A Beautiful Mind. Knitticisms. Slouching Toward Bethlehem. Open Me Carefully. It's Easier Than You Think.

Yesterday, I bought Middlemarch. If I enjoy it, it might end up on the shelf next to Where I've Been and Where I'm Going, An American Childhood, Collected Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay, Natural History of the Senses, or Jane Eyre. If I don't, it'll end up at the public library between Adam Bede and The Mill on the Floss, all nice and tidy. I hope it will remain here and become part of my bookish kaleidoscope. We'll see.


No comments: