17 January 2022

Midsommar, a film seen in midwinter

 So, we watched Midsomar on Saturday, and I sort-of wish... well, some of the images are stickier (!) than I would have guessed, in every sense of the word, and I'm not sure if I think it's a good film or a piece of, shall we say, directorial indulgence? Many reviews praise the cinematography, and yes, it's wonderful. Florence Pugh is excellent. The story is indescribable. I wouldn't go so far as one critic quoted in Wiki ( the "horror equivalent of a destination wedding" ) - but - more than once while watching, one of us would turn to the other and say "WHAT!????!" - I covered my eyes and looked away a few times, because just looking away or just closing my eyes would not have been enough. That all said, the plot and characters are logical in terms of world-building, and I will never EVER to go Sweden.

 







No comments: