06 April 2013

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand


I've been negligent about blogging. I haven't been negligent about reading, though, and I have (at least) rated some books over at Goodreads. Some knitting has occurred, mostly socks, plus one silvery thing that (I hope) will make one of my friends happy next week.

Spoiler:











I love knitting lace...

Here's a review of the last book I read. It reminds me a little of a Barbara Pym plot gone slightly mad, with touches of the pain of Empire lingering in the hearts of some co-existing with the utterly dense hearts of a dying aristocracy. 

Major Pettigrew's Last StandMajor Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I couldn't love this book more if it were made of dark chocolate and I could eat each page after I read it. There are some of the funniest set pieces I ever read - check out the meeting where characters select food and decor for a country-club dinner, and a walk-through of the most decrepit-yet-charming English cottage ever - as well as genuine characters who grow, change, love, and take up residence in your pantheon.
Recommended to -- everyone. 



View all my reviews

7 comments:

Huette said...

looks great :)

Julie said...

24 hours earlier and I would have chosen this as the test drive for my new kindle paperwhite. It's in line though!

Madame Purl said...

Julie's tempting me with this Kindle PaperWhite. I can't wait to read Major Pettigrew... I got it on Audible to listen. Multi-tasking.

Pooch said...

Love your analogy to dark chocolate pages! Made me smile--clever you!

:)

Donna Lee said...

I have been reading more since I got my ipad. I just read Justice Sotomajor's book and now I'm starting World War Z. I'm nothing if not eclectic.

I'm off to the library online to look for major pettigrew.....

Melwyk said...

I have this on my shelf and almost picked it up for lunchtime reading today...then wondered if it would be too twee... whew, glad to hear it's actually wonderful, I'll have it for lunch tomorrow instead of dessert!

Nicole said...

Knitting lace is awesome! It's probably my favorite type of project.