28 March 2009

"If you can make a proper cup of tea..."

Afternoon Tea Party by Mary Cassatt"If you can make a proper cup of tea, you can do anything" - an article by Phyllis Segura from Tricycle. Is that true? I wish ...

I haven't done much for the last few days except work and drink tea. Maybe a little knitting (some progress on a turquoise wrap I started last year, and a facecloth) - maybe a little reading (Songs Without Words by Ann Packer, which I will write about soon) - maybe a couple of letters written.

I spent too many days battling a throat infection without the benefit of antibiotics, but yesterday I gave up. My punishment: Antibiotics and steroids. What can I say? Bleah. (And even that, I only can say softly.)

I wish...

I wish I had the nerve to write, like my friend wrtmaus, about fear, and I wish I had the stamina to take this (from Tricycle's Daily Dharma) to heart:

Fear is finding fault with the future. If only we could
keep in mind how uncertain our future is, then we would
never try to predict what could go wrong.
Fear ends right there.

–Ajahn Brahm from Opening the Door of Your Heart (Lothian Books)

But today I have just enough energy to say shalom, hello, and namaste to my friends, readers, and passers by.

17 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hwllo! Right back at ya!

Stephanie said...

Er... I mean Hello. :)

Larjmarj said...

Bleah for the throat infection and the antibiotics. I am on them right now too. Sort of a necessary evil.

Get well!

Beverly said...

I like the Martin Luther King quote in the article to which you linked.

Hope your poor throat feels better soon.

Bridget said...

Seems like all of us have some form of ick these days. Hope yours settles down soon.

But at least there is tea, right?

Aunt Kathy said...

I do hope you are feeling better

Heather said...

I once fell madly in love with a Chinese boy in high school. His mother only ever said one thing to me, "Can you make tea?" and I being young and stupid said nothing. I was so afraid of his mother I never talked to him again.
Fear is the greatest disservice we inflict on ourselves.
I've popped a letter in the mail to you which began with I hope you are well... I hope you are well by the time it arrives!

wrtrmaus said...

Thanks for the acknowledgement. I'm amazed that I put that out there (and that I haven't pulled it back in), but I'd reached a tipping point. I hope you don't have to reach one like it.

Sorry you are feeling bleah and wishing that you didn't.

Love the Ajahn Brahm quote, definitely need to write it down, even if I'm not ready to embrace it.

Off to read the article on tea.

Peace.

Bobbi said...

This is an important subject - fear. I'd like to know where mine came from so I can cut it out. That may never happen so I just keep going and little by little I become stronger. Not fast enough but on good days I look back at what I've done and pat myself on the back and that's enough. Thanks.

Mistrmi said...

The energy you did have was used positively. . .

Healing thoughts your way.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better. Fear is a difficult thing. That's why there are so many OTC sleep aids out there--fear seems strongest at night.

Lost City Denise said...

Heal soon.

I find fear both enabling and immobilizing. I'm strange that way - or maybe fear is strange that way.

Nana Sadie said...

Ack...I'm so sorry about your throat. Especially about the steroids.
Tea...lots of tea...and rest!
(((Hugs)))

Jodi said...

Oh no, I hope you feel better soon!

I'm in the mood for turquoise, teal, and aqua right now. I'd love to see how your turquoise is shaping up.

Anna said...

Get well soon -- tea, hot soup, and hugs to you.

Rachel said...

I recently learned that fearing the future was silly, too, cuz the furture rapidly becomes the present, and then you learn that what you feared is really nothing at all.

Throat infections are the worst of petty ailments, I think. Feel better soon. Hot tea is always good. Ever tried mightyleaf.com? Good teas.

Isabel said...

for two days I wouldn't open the notice ref intersection traffic camera. couldn't remember that I ran any lights, but definitely they would want money! when I opened it - It wasn't my car!!! A glass of wine to the death of fear!
Hope you are feeling better now.