24 October 2008

peeping out from my hidey-hole, and Friday Fill-Ins


I've been unusually fortunate in the book contests I've won lately. This week, I received The Memoirist by M.J. Rose from Sarah at Reading the Past. Thank you, Sarah! I always enjoy Sarah's reviews of obscure books, such as A Song for Marguerite by Maureen Peters, and I love her link to Reusable Cover Art.

I'm having a wonderful time reading Cassandra and Jane, which is whetting my appetite for biographies of Jane Austen beyond the one by Carol Shields. I have Becoming Jane Austen lined up as well as a collection of Austen's letters - any other suggestions ?

Friday Fill-ins:

1. Right now, I'm feeling weary, and glad that my current knitting is utterly, totally mindless.
2. Listening to the ocean is where I want to be.
3. How does one spend that much money on clothes and that much money on makeup? Literally. How does one DO that?
4. The moon keeps me on track.
5. Please don't take my Kodachrome away.
6. This fills me with joy.
7. And as for the weekend, I need/want to rest.

6 comments:

Carrie K said...

Sarah has me looking for some OOP books and pretty soon I'm going to cave and order them online. Congrats on winning The Memoirist. No suggestions in a Jane Austen bent from me right now.

The ocean sounds lovely. I think I hear Muir Woods calling me.

Re #3 - I have no idea. None. But I'm pretty sure that she's not the only one doing just that - and that really boggles the imagination.

Stephanie said...

I just started Becoming Jane Austen. Great so far! I actually thought the Sheilds bio wasn't the best. I didn't like her style much if I recall...

As for Palin - if you are that fugly on the inside then I guess you'd spend alot trying to pretty up the outside. Not working though!!

Janet said...

Oh, thanks, now I'm craving to hear / see / smell the ocean!

Do you know I've never seen that movie?!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on the book wins!

I'm craving the sea too. We're heading down to San Diego for Thanksgiving, and a trip to the beach is definitely in the works. My kids love the beach.

Unknown said...

Doesn't that scary woman know how many people developing countries she can feed with just the price of her shoes!
Ugh, another reason I despise Palin.

Congrats on the book wins! That looks like such a good book.

With the cold weather setting in it is time for the good movies. Curling up with my cozy blanket, tea, knitting and watching Breakfast at Tiffany's tonight!
I just watched Bell Book and Candle last night.
I am thinking Affair to Remember for tomorrow night.
:)

Nana Sadie said...

Congrats on the book wins, and I hope your weekend was restful.
((((hugs))))