14 April 2008

challenged

I have a finished object! No, you can't see it yet - it has to be blocked, and then it has to be sent on its way to its rightful owner. I'm almost ashamed to be so proud: it's a lace scarf, the first lace I ever actually finished, and it's really, really pretty. (Hint: I used one of Roxanne's Art Walk Sock Yarns.)

It's a good thing I was feeling good about my knitting, because after yesterday's Ravelry knit-together, I was ready to slink into the nearest storm drain. Literally, literally, I did nothing but cast on and rip, cast on and rip, cast on and rip, for 3 hours. It was gruesome. First, I tried to knit Branching Out, but couldn't get past row 5. Finally I gave up on Branching Out, and started a simple lace pattern. Rip.

(When I got home, I cast on for Dainty Bess, and I've finished about 10 rows. The secret, I guess, is to start a project when I'm NOT having fun. (The picture is from Ravelry - mine will be dark green.)


I've joined Becky's Arthurian Challenge. How could I resist? My first challenge book will be The Mists of Avalon (which I won't be able to start until I finish Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman. Did I mention that I'm moderating the discussion for this book on Ravelry?) I'm also reading Pamela by Samuel Richardson, trying to get through a 2-foot high stack of New Yorker magazines --

(And darn it all, why do I have to work???)

p.s. - my take on the latest manufactured controversy about Senator Obama is exactly this piece by David Coleman. And maybe I'm naive, but I don't want to have a beer with my president - not only because I don't drink beer, but because I want my president to be smarter than I am, more knowledgeable than I am, and willing to express subtleties. As my husband says, I don't belong in this world.

5 comments:

Robyn said...

Ooh, Mists of Avalon is good! I read it for a Sci Fi and Fantasy Lit class

knitseashore said...

Congratulations on your first lace scarf! I'm sure the recipient will love it.

Maven said...

If Mists of Avalon is good, and you enjoy it, I have Marion Zimmer Bradley's Ancestors Of Avalon on my bookshelf at Paperback Swap!

Paula said...

I love the lace pattern.
I am so afraid of lace still.
You are so brave!

Hmmm, Ye Be Dragons, eh?
My husband liked that book and now you.
Okay I will check it out.

I read all of the Mists of Avalon books and loved them!

I will have to check out this challenge.
Did I mention we are going to Glastonbury while in England?
I will send you a postcard with King Arthur on it.
:)

...and I too am not from this world.

Kat said...

ooh.....virgin lace and company don't mix. My first lace project made me feel like I was suffering from some latent retardation. Glad you got through it. Pretty scarf-lucky recipient.

Mists of Avalon?--I've been wanting to read that for years.

Kathy