29 March 2007

have sock yarn....

have sock yarn....... will knit a scarf....



However, I am waiting for an order from KnitPicks that will include DPNs in the appropriate size(s) for knitting socks out of sock yarn. What a concept.

I would like to support my LYS, but I don't like my LYS. I'd only been there once before Monday, and I had been - shall we say - ignored? Ignored. If I asked a question, I'd get an answer, and then I'd be ignored again. The place was cold, man.

But I wanted DPNs, and I wanted them NOW, so I stopped on the way home from having my mammogram. (Note to any woman reading this: if you haven't had your yearly mammogram, STOP READING THIS AND MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT NOW!!!!) Everything was fine, I was humming, and I wanted the needles.

I left with 2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden, on sale, and a button, but no needles. They only had slippery ones. When I told them I was about to start my first pair of socks, and wanted non-slippery ones because at least that way I wouldn't be afraid of everything falling off at once, the owner shrugged, said "sorry," and went back to her knitting.

Her assistant told me that they'd just had a sock class. I perked up. "Do you have a mailing list so I can find out when the next one will be? Do you have a website?" "No," she said. She found a piece of paper and let me write my name and e-mail address on it, just to appease me, but she had no enthusiasm, no hints, no offer to let me see the handouts or pattern they'd used for the class -- nothing.

Sheesh. It's one thing to be respectful and to avoid hounding a customer. It's another to let the customer feel like an intruder. Funny, isn't it, to feel more welcome at KnitPicks than at a real live store?

11 comments:

Emma said...

I can totally relate to the rude LYS employee thing. Isn't it crazy? I say just go with KnitPicks and all the other amazing Internet retailers.

Bells said...

What is it with these rude LYS people??? there's one around here which always leaves me wishing I hadn't bothered *cough* the shearing shed* cough.

gfh said...

That is incredibly rude - unreal. Even people having horrible days could be a little nicer. RE: mammograms - I don't think I've enough, shall we say, flesh, in that area to warrant an official check:)! Like the scarf:)!
-adrienne:)

Nana Sadie said...

I stay away from MY LYS now, because the customer service is so poor. If you're not part of their "clique," forget it!
I'll stick with buying online!
(((hugs)))

Bridget said...

Melanie, your experience is appalling! Especially when you said you would be trying your first sock - they should have been all over you then, offering help, since you were going out of your way to mention it.

I think you'll really like socks, once you get the hang of them. I'm wearing my recently finished Tiger socks today, and they are so comfy!

Re: Mammograms - get one, whether you have a lot of "flesh" or not. They really can be life-saving. Trust me, I know this.

Maven said...

It's a shame you live so damned far from me, woman. We would be making weekly trips to Michael's... and to Flying Fingers (as well as Silver Tips Tea Shop, right down the street from Flying Fingers!).

There is NO excuse for making a paying customer feel like a burden or an intruder!

Khadijha Caitlin said...

That is amazing!!!! I can't believed that happened to you! I've only had that happen once and I believe it had something to do with two certain children that just happened to be tagging along with me. (But we won't get into that!)
By the way what is the age you should begin getting mammograms?

Becky said...

That's really too bad about your LYS. We have one here that is like that. It's a shame. Fortunately, we have a couple others that are helpful, and one that is downright friendly.

If you get a chance, take the sock class anyway. It helps.

Carrie K said...

Boo to the yarn store. One of mine used to be a bit standoffish but they're fine now.

I got my mammo this year. That's twice. I'm so not doing it again. I'll do the MRI if they're that worried.

Jennifer said...

Wow! It's any wonder they do any business at all.

R a i n said...

Evil LYS peeps are a universal thing I guess. Argh...mine's the same all the way here!