19 July 2006

I wonder -

Margaret Mead was a prolific letter-writer, posting from all over the world to her friends, family, colleagues, and lovers. According to the introduction to a new collection of her letters, To Cherish the Life of the World:

Mead adapted metaphors from the Amy Lowell poem, "A Decade," to describe her intimate relationships. There were people who were exciting, sparkling wine and there were those who were nurturing bread... In her life, she needed both bread and wine."

I wonder - which poems (or art, or music) would describe my relationships?

Decade - by Amy Lowell

When you came, you were like red wine and honey,
And the taste of you burnt my mouth with its sweetness.
Now you are like morning bread,
Smooth and pleasant.
I hardly taste you at all for I know your savour,
But I am completely nourished.


(Cross-posted to Crafted Poetry)

No comments: