I must say, this feels really odd..... but here goes.
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand?
I prefer natural fibers, but I'm not such a snob that I'll sniff at LionBrand wool. My favorite yarns, so far in my knitting career, are from KnitPicks. I love handpaints. I can't imagine using laceweight yarn - fingering, dk, and worsted-weight seem to suit me best. I don't use cotton unless I'm making a dishcloth - it hurts my hands. (Such a delicate flower.)
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I have two pretty cloth bags, which means that my needles are hopelessly jumbled.
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I'd say I'm an advanced beginner. I've been knitting seriously, in my adult incarnation, for about 3 years.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Amazon and Knitpicks (I'll gladly e-mail it. To anyone.)
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
I am asthmatic, allergic, and violently averse to scented things. Alas. I can tolerate Clinique. I can NOT tolerate the prices of Clinique, but that's not really the question, is it?
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I have many sweet teeth. I'm allergic to peanuts, but I am not allergic to dark chocolate. I'm also not allergic to butterscotch, lemon, or halvah
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I've done some needlepoint and some cross-stitch, but not lately.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Oh dear. Here's where I go haywire. Music is my passion. I love classical, especially ancient, and have all of Anonymous 4's wonderful, ethereal recordings. Love Vaughan Williams, Chopin, Goldberg Variations, string quartets, cello music, harp music. Modern: I have all of Loreena McKennitt, Patti Smith, Aimee Mann, Steeleye Span, Pentangle, Indigo Girls, Richard Thompson. That sort of thing. No rap. Please. Oh, please, no rap. I'm going to get a new pc soon, and I'm sure it'll be able to play anything. In fact, maybe this will hurry along the process of getting the new pc!
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I've worn almost nothing but black and dark blue for years. Lately, I'm becoming fond of greens, violets, rosy pinks, turquoise. Orange and yellow make me twitch.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married. No children. No pets, although I still mourn my cats.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, yes! Hats, sometimes. Mittens, when I can get them. Friends made me a Martha poncho, and it's nice, but I much prefer shawls or shawlettes.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
Silk blends, wools, wool blends. I haven't ventured too far into the exotics yet, although I've used a Knitpicks alpaca blend and loved loved loved it.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Squeaky acrylics, mohair (achoo, achoo, scratch scratch scratch), cotton (except for dishcloths).
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Lacy scarves. I want to graduate to lacy shawls. I'm also having some fun with dishcloths. Never thought I would like them, but they are fun!
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
17. What are you knitting right now?
See #15. (I need to branch out, don't I?)
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
YES! They're the best.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
Straight. A dear friend just gave me a pair of rosewoods, size 6, and I'm enjoying them with the silk that I'm using for, um, #15.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Neither! I wind, and my feet swift.
22. How did you learn to knit?
My mother taught me when I was young. (She was, and is, an awesome knitter.) I picked it up again 3 years ago while recovering from major surgery. I craved knitting the way I sometimes crave dark chocolate.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
Um, 3 years....
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Animal: rabbits! (and cats) (and swans)
Animated character: Gromit (and Shaun, of course) and Lisa Simpson.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween. A witch's hat is ever-so becoming with my long grey hair!
26. Is there anything that you collect?
Dust bunnies... no, really: fountain pens with fine nibs to accommodate my tiny handwriting, tote bags, stationery, ridiculous socks.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have subscriptions to a couple of the easy ones that keep changing their names. I think Interweave and Vogue are next on my list.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Shoalwater shawl...? I have a lot of knitting books. I read them obsessively.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Cables, which I am told are easy. Then again, I'm also told that DPNs are easy. See #30.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
No. I tremble when I think about trying to use DPNs. I imagine stabbing myself with one, or watching it fly across the room into someone's eye. In fact, I think they should be classified as lethal weapons. Am I wrong? And don't tell me "use double circs." I know myself. I'd HANG myself with them.
31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
32. Are you allergic to anything? (I think this is important...)
Smoke, peanuts, scents, oranges (go figure), and the usual suspects.
(It might amuse my Secret Pal to know that I printed this out, wrote out my answers with a Waterman Phileas fountain pen, and then transcribed it here. That's the kind of absurd woman I am.)