06 August 2005

camera-shy

How camera-shy am I? I'm so camera-shy that my mother has only one recent picture of me -- if "recent" is defined as "within the last quarter-century" -- my passport picture from the early eighties.

Well, a treat awaits me. My dear friend Janet is coming to New York next weekend, and we're going to meet for the first time after corresponding for many, many, many years. She and her husband are going to meet me at the library where I work, and we're going to spend the afternoon browsing through a pretty south-shore town, eating at a lovely cafe, and, of course, Drinking A Lot Of Tea.

So, Janet, this one's for you. I don't generally have a rose in my teeth, and I don't own a Yankee cap (although I should), but .... close enough. You'll recognize me. I'll be the one with her head on your shoulder and her hands clasping yours. But just in case one of our library crazies is around, and someone who is Not Me puts her head on your shoulder.... Here I am.
icon

No comments: