13 July 2019

Surprised by God

Surprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love ReligionSurprised by God: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Religion by Danya Ruttenberg
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

As a longtime follower of Rabbi Ruttenberg on social media, I have been awed by the breadth of knowledge, humor, and all-around life that she brings to her discussions of social activism, religion, and politics. This book did not disappoint.

My reading notes include quotes from Kierkegaard ("infinite resignation is the last stage before faith"), two quotes from Rabbi Heschel (Judaism demands "a leap of action rather than a leap of thought" and "Few are guilty, but all are responsible"), a reference to a game that sounds like something my friends would invent ("gender deconstructionist draydl"), and enough books-to-read to keep me busy for quite some time, plus a Buddhist idea that has both comforted and inspired me: every emotion has a beginning, middle, and end.

The outline of Rabbi Ruttenberg's voyage from punk atheist to Orthodoxy is fascinating in itself,with stops along the way in several continents and much scholarship. This is a deep dive, and one I will revisit.

Highly recommended to anyone who thinks, acts, and hopes for a better planet.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

KSD said...

This sounds positively (figuratively and literally) wonderful.