20 December 2018

Let heaven and nature sing - a metaphor.




I want everyone to read the poetry of Theodora Goss. Today, I want you to read this poem because of this excerpt.

Every week, I buy myself flowers
at the market for three dollars a bunch:
Peruvian lilies, which are practical, they last so long,
especially if you remember to change the water.
But I never considered they could ignite,
even if only metaphorically.
Although people have died of metaphor.
Poetry is no safer than these lilies,
arranged in a green and gray pottery jar
on a lace doily crocheted by my grandmother.
Get too close, you will inevitably
start to burn. 

People die every day of metaphor. War is fought over imaginary lines on a map that tell people to classify some as enemy and some as friend. Children are denied food and shelter for the same metaphor. One died of our neglect and meanness last week because Their children are not entitled to the same care and concern as Our children.

Let heaven and nature sing is a metaphor. Think about it. Please.

No comments: