09 September 2007

The world is too much with us, late and soon

Sometimes, what I need is a gentle day. I've been listening
to
Sense and Sensibility while knitting a Red Scarf,
sitting in silence while I knit and turn the heel on
my Dali sock, and yearning for a respite from
nearly everything. I'm tired.


The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers,

For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not.--Great God! I'd rather be
A pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.
-- Wordsworth --

10 comments:

nonizamboni said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment on my question.
Wishing you rest and a good week.
Mary Ann

Sway Knits said...

When I'm depressed/tired/etc., I think of this lovely line from a poem by Wislawa Szymborska:

Not without its charms is this terrible world,
not without its mornings worth our waking.

I hope you feel better!

Khadijha Caitlin said...

I'm frazzled beyond belief right now too. The blog and everything has gone to the back burner. But...

“Knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises.” ~ Elizabeth Zimmermann

TrampledbyGeese said...

I do love this poem.
Thank you for sharing.

Donna Lee said...

Wordsworth has "charms to soothe the savage breast". A calm day is so wonderfully necessary sometimes. I am encouraging my husband and girls to go hiking without me next week so i can have some quiet time.

Carrie K said...

I love that poem. I've got it tacked to my bulletin board at work.

I hope you get the rest you need.

Nana Sadie said...

Thank you. Need that. Reminding.

Doing any show puts me on a "hamster's treadmill" - doing the one I just finished magnifies that 100-fold.

I so appreciate your bringing up that particular Wordsworth!
(((hugs)))

Paula said...

Oh I do love Wordsworth.
That poem is perfect for the day I had yesterday.
After this week is over I think I may need to just sit in a quiet room, listen to some calming music and knit some of Anna's fish while reciting Dr. Seuss in my head. That’s if my brain does not resemble a bowl of over cooked porridge by then.

Dorothy said...

I'm glad you approve of the new site.

I love this poem. I feel like that a lot lately. I feel I'm wearing out sometimes. I like quiet days, no noise but the birds, the wind rustling gently through the leaves and the soft tick of the walk clock. That is heaven, while reading a book or working on some craft, or just sitting quietly gazing out the window at the grass, the trees, the sky.

gfh said...

I'm right there with you. Be well.